Snow Melt System Control: Configurable, Aerial
Snow melt system controls just got configurable. Along with ETI’s legendary CIT-1 aerial sensor, the Snow Switch LCD–8 with its configurable magnetic switch, makes automatic snow melting a cost effective alternative in even the smallest applications.
Heaters operate at temperatures below the set-point, 38°F (3.3°C) default, only when required. The adjustable hold-on period, 3 hours default, continues heater operation after snow stops to ensure complete melting.
The LCD–8 controller’s internal magnetic reed switch is used to trigger manual heater cycling and to configure the system’s temperature set-point and hold-on time. The LCD–8 controller operates from either the 100VAC – 240VAC unit, part number 24619, or from the 24VAC unit, part number 24781. The distinct voltage options, along with their configurable temperature set-point and hold-on time functions, are engineered to address a broad number of applications from just two SKUs.
The LCD–8 controls heater loads up to 16 amps resistive or 3 amps inductive. The operating temperature range is –40°F to 140°F (–40°C to 60°C). The redesigned, patent pending, rugged polycarbonate enclosure provides excellent protection at temperature extremes and allows snow to fall away, preventing “iglooing” over the moisture sensor.
The internal magnetic reed switch allows for both configuration and manual heater operation without the need for external switches—which are susceptible to damage—or opening the unit.
Before the LCD-8, verifying system functionality after installation or troubleshooting used to require ice or circuit cooler spray for controller activation. Today, the LCD–8’s Sno-Test feature performs a self-test after power application, operating heaters in a unique pattern for a few seconds. Reading the test results takes only an AC voltmeter or clamp-on ammeter.
Features & Benefits
- Automatic voltage selection: 100VAC – 240VAC
- LCD-8 24VAC model available for hydronic, building automation applications
- Adjustable hold-on time and temperature set-point provide flexibility for a wide range of applications
- Rated for up to 3 amp inductive loads for pilot duty applications; resistive loads up to 16 amps
- Weather-resistant NEMA 3R enclosure
- Hold-on timer continues heater operation after snow stops to ensure complete melting
- Sno-Test™ automatic testing and manual heater cycle for system testing
- Simple four-wire installation
- C-UL-US Listed for Temperature Regulating Equipment
A simple snow switch for a small system that turns on the system when it is cold enough to snow and moisture is detected. This unit gives you simple controllability.